The Adventurer is an NPC vendor that sells various items, as well as providing access to the quest function. He can be found within the Briar as an Ensnared Adventurer. Similar to other bound NPCs, talking to him allows him to claim a house and respawn when killed.
When threatened, he will throw a Valkyrie Spirit Spear at enemies.
The Adventurer is bugged in multiplayer and can reset every quest you gave to him, meaning you have to start the quests from the beginning.
The Adventurer will hand out quests to the player to complete tasks in various parts of the world. These quests are separated into three groups, based on what must be done to complete the quest.
- Forager Quests require the player to fetch a unique item for the adventurer.
- Slayer Quests require the player to kill enemies specified on your contract, which will keep track of your progress.
- Explorer Quests require the player to travel to a biome and remain there until it has been mapped out.
Another category of exists as well, referred to as Primary Quests. These quests can function like any of the other 3 categories of quests, but they cannot be skipped and generally offer a greater reward to the player than normal quests.
Completing a quest will grant the player a variety of rewards, both cosmetic and functional. Additionally, after completing certain quests new items that correspond to the quest will be unlocked for purchase within the Adventurer's shop.
|Dangersense Potion||20||Always available.|
|Dart Trap||50||Always available.|
|Worn Adventurer's Sword||2 50||Always available.|
|Whirling Worlds||6 50||Always available.|
|Wayfinder's Pin (Green)||50||Always available.|
|Wayfinder's Pin (Yellow)||50||Always available.|
|Vitality Stone||2 80||During a Blood Moon.|
|Sticky Glowstick||20||During the following moon phases:|
|Spelunker Glowstick||1 50||During the following moon phases:|
|Cursed Torch||3||At night, During the following moon phases:|
|Ultrabright Torch||3||At night, during the following moon phases:|
|Whoopie Cushion||1 50||If Eater of Worlds / Brain of Cthulhu has been defeated.|
|Book||20||If Skeletron has been defeated.|
|Skull on a Stick||10||When spoken to in the Briar.|
|Polymorph Gun||60||If any Mechanical Boss has been defeated.|
|Accursed Arrow||30||After giving the Adventurer a Sepulchre Chest.|
|Sepulchre Banner||25||After giving the Adventurer a Sepulchre Chest.|
|Sepulchre Chest||40||After giving the Adventurer a Sepulchre Chest.|
|Sakura Bonsai||80||After giving the Adventurer a Staff of the Jade Dragon.|
|Yellow Willow Bonsai||80||After giving the Adventurer a Staff of the Jade Dragon.|
|Quivershroom Jar||30||After giving the Adventurer a Quivershroom.|
|Floral Seed Bag||10||After giving the Adventurer a completed Dr. Bones Slayer Contract.|
|Cryolite Bomb||1||After giving the Adventurer a completed Winterborn Slayer Contract.|
The Adventurer can have the following names:
- "I've been all around this world, and I've got so many things for you to see."
- "Lovely house you've got here. It's much better lodging than when those savages from The Briar hung me over a spit."
- "Every dawn brings with it a new opportunity for a journey! You interested?"
- "We're pretty similar, you and I. I sense our shared thirst for adventure."
- "Buy my stuff and go out there! See what the world has to offer, like I have."
- "From the depths of temples and the heights of space, peruse my wares."
- "I swear I've got more goods today than [Name of Merchant]."
- "Ah! It's [Name of Traveling Merchant]! We've often met on our journeys. I still haven't found all those exotic jungles he speaks of."
- "Got some great prices today! [Name of Arms Dealer]'s wares can't compete! They literally can't. I don't sell guns anymore."
Only at night:
- "Like the moon, my merchandise is inconstant."
In a world with a Goblin Tower:
- "The goblins are more organized than you'd think- I saw their mages build a huge tower over yonder. You should check it out sometime!"
In a world with a Bandit Hideout:
- "My old business partner turned to the bandit life a few years ago. I wonder if he's doing okay. I think his associates have set up a bandit camp somewhere near the seas."
During a Blood Moon:
- "Everyone seems to be so aggressive tonight. With the zombies knocking at our door, I think you should buy stuff and head underground as quick as you can. Can you take me with you?"
Any a Mechanical Boss has been defeated:
- "A shimmering blue light's on the horizon. Wonder what that's about, huh?"
- Quests introduced.
- Defends himself with Valkyrie Spirit Spear.
- Shop updated.
- Sprite updated.
- Now found within the Briar.
- 1.1.3: Introduced.